Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: Finale (Hush, Hush #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.
Maybe I'm being a little bit overemotional because I didn't sleep much last night, but I feel like I'm fighting off the feeling of sobbing like a baby. If I started I don't think I would stop. Maybe overemotional is right.

When I started the series I was so skeptical. I always am when starting a popularized book. But the Hush Hush series captivated me and I couldn't never stop reading, even when I said I'd only read one more chapter.

Before I begin to gush, I just want to get the negative things off my chest in hopes of pushing away the emotional feelings of finishing a series. There were many issues with the plot throughout the series, but I will only talk about this book. I won't give away spoilers you can't read off the back of the cover so don't you worry.

If Nora is the leader of the nephilim army, then how come she never meets with them? Not once does she make and announcement or stand before them, leading them. Her life rides on it and she doesn't see them once. Some kidnap her and she still doesn't act like a leader. Really?

Marcie Miller. Oh my God, did that girl infuriate me. She had an important role in the book, but I felt like she was never given enough face-time to make the pieces fit together in the end of the book. She almost felt like a fill-in character when she was important, and I don't understand why. Even more than that in the epilogue, when you read about her and what happens, it's like, two sentences and that's it. Even though I hated her - may she burn in hell - I felt like she needed a bigger closing than that. She was a key part to the series because of her heritage and that was it.

My biggest problem - the way the last chapter ended and the epilogue. There was no wrap up after the climax and even though Fitzpatrick tried to do that in the epilogue, it wasn't enough. Sure, every book should end with a bit of wistfulness hanging in the air. But you shouldn't end the book with lose strings! So many things happened that were never addressed. What happened to the army afterwards? What about Vee? What about the council? So many lose threads. And then there's Gavin. I won't spoil who he is because I don't even know how he came about in the epilogue. Seriously. WTF HAPPENED HERE VEE BECAUSE I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Now time for the gushing.

I seriously think that the things Patch says to Nora sometimes - though drawn out a bit too much - are the sweetest things ever. How he confesses his feelings make me grin and want to kill Nora and take Patch as my own. He did so many things for her and if it wasn't for his character, the series would not have been a success like it is. He is so important in his words and actions throughout.

Honestly, whenever I finish a series, no matter how amazing or awful, I feel like I'm closing a chapter in my heart. (how cheesy am I?) It's so hard because it's over and I don't know, I'm sentimental and what not. It took me much longer to get to Finale because I'm a cheap ass and waited to see it in a softcover, but I'm so glad I got to it. Now I can complete my set!

If you've read the first book or a few of them and not have finished, I suggest pushing toward doing so. I didn't reread the books before I did and fared just fine. It feels really good to finish off the series and put it on my shelf in completion. Woo!

"No match for Patch."

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: