Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review: Sweet Evil (Sweet Evil Trilogy #1) by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Series: Sweet Evil Trilogy #1
Genre: Young Adult, Angels, Paranormal
Rating: ★★
Pages: 453
Published by HarperTeen on May 1, 2012
Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels. Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
Is it possible to think a book was stupid and amazing at the same time? Regardless, I am conflicted. On some level I absolutely loved Sweet Evil and on the other I think parts of it were completed stupid. Bear with as I read this book during the wee hours of the night and therefore my emotions were all over the place.

The Good: 
Kaiden was hot. Oh so, so, so hot. Reading about him was amazing, even if he didn't have a speaking part and when I wasn't reading about him I was looking forward to reading about him. Also, he was defined well while also still remaining distant and mysterious.

The Bad:
The plot. Though the idea of each sin plus commandments designated to a specific demon and their offspring is unique, I also find it incredibly stupid. They want to wreck havoc on the humans - okay, that's cool. But how is that much havoc happening when you have a limited number of people. And how is making people drink alcohol and throw up really that big of a deal?

Honestly, if it wasn't for Kaidan and the drama I probably wouldn't have steadily read Sweet Evil as I did. I just couldn't fall in love with the plot because in my eyes, there needs to be a thorough back story and the plot needs to make complete sense as to why what is going on is actually happening.

I think the reason why I read this every night was because I have trouble sleeping and it was something to do on my iPod in the dark. I'll give Higgins that there were good cliffhangers, intriguing characters and things that happened that I just had to read on to find out what happened next. But the plot just wasn't working for me.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! If you leave a link to one of your posts, I will probably return the favor! (: